Bynn Kegls. See Kings Lynn.
Bynstcd, 3 miles SE. of Sittingbourne, Kent; P.O.
Bynton, watering-place and par., Devon, at mouth
of river Lyn, 12 miles NE. of Ilfracombe, 7193 ac.,
pop. 1213; P.O., T.O., 1 newspaper; is situated amidst
fine scenery, and is a resort of tourists and sea-bathers.
Bynturk, seat, Leochel and Cushnie par., Aberdeen-
shire, 24 miles S. of Alford.
Bynus Point, headland, on NE. coast of Anglesey,
24 miles NE. of Amlwch; 011 the point is Bynus
Bigkthoiisc, 36 ft. high, with intermittent light 128
ft. above high water and seen 16 miles.
Bynwilg, place with inn, Alvie par., Inverness-shire,
on Loch Alvie, 24 miles SAV. of Aviemore sta.; P.O.
By011, river, Perthshire; rises near W. border of co.,
and flows 34 m. E. through Glen Lyon to the Tay at
Taymouth Castle 4 m. AV. of Aberfeldy ; Boch Byon,
near head of river Lyon, extends If m. NE. and SAV.
Byons, eccl. dist., Houghton-le-Spring and Pitting -
ton pars., Durham, pop. 4105.
Byons, par., NE. co. Kildare, on Grand Canal, 1749
ac., pop. 286; contains Byons Castle, seat of Lord
Cloncurry, 2 miles SAA7. of Celbridge ry. sta.; and
Byons Hill, alt. 657 ft.
Byonsdown, eccl. dist., Chipping Barnet and East
Barnet pars., Herts, pop. 128.
Byonshall, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Herefordshire,
in NAV of co., 2 miles E. of Kington, 4658 ac., pop.
869 ; P.O.; has remains of an ancient castle.
Bypiatc, hamlet, Kilmersdon par., Somerset, 5 miles
NW. of Bath.
Byplatt Park, seat, 2 miles E. of Stroud, Glouces-
tershire ; the mansion is a 16th century structure, and
is said to have been the place in which the Gunpowder
Plot was concocted.
Byrath, seat, in co. and 2 miles SE. of Kilkenny.
Byre, 4 miles from Kanturk, N. co. Cork; P.O.
Bysbrook, hamlet, Oxfordshire, in SE. of co., on
river Thames, 2 miles SE. of Henley on Thames.
Byss, Hants. See Liss.
Bystonllouse, seat, in co. and 74 miles S. of Hereford.
Bysways Hall, seat, Staffordshire; post-tn., Rugeley.
Bytchett Bay, small bay, Dorset, in N. of Poole
Bytchett Matravers, par. and vil., Dorset, in E. of
co., 64 miles NAV. of Poole, 3329 ac., pop. 692 ; p.o.
Bytchett Minster, par. and vil., Dorset, in E. of co.,
at head of Lytchett Bay, 4 miles NAV. of Poole, 3344
ac. (135 water), pop. 848; P.O.; contains Bytchett
Minster and South Bytchett Honse, seats.
Bytescary, hamlet, Charlton Mackrell par., Somer-
set, 4 miles NW. of Sparkford sta.
Byth, hamlet, Heversham par., AVestmorland, 5
miles NW. of Milnthorpe.
Byth, vil., Bower par., Caithness, 84 m. NAV. of AVick.
Byth Hall, seat, 14 m. SE. of Ellesmere, Shropshire.
Bytham, town and par. with ry. sta., N. Lanca-
shire, on estuary of the Ribble, 7 miles SE. of Black-
pool and 14 miles W. of Preston—par. (containing the
greater part of St Annes on Sea), 5310 ac. and 9872
foreshore, pop. 5268; town, pop. 4122; P.O., T.O., 3
Banks, 1 newspaper. Lytham is situated on the N.
shore of the estuary of the Ribble, and is a great resort
during the spring and summer months. The pier (1864)
is 900 ft. long, and there is a splendid beach, also a
promenade and marine drive. About a mile to the E.
is Bytham Pool, an anchorage of vessels for the port
of Preston. The trade of the town is connected with
the supply required by visitors.
Bythe, par., township, and vil., North-Riding York-
shire—par., 30,254 ac., pop. 3361; township, 3770 ac.,
pop. 1182 ; vil., 34 miles NAA7. of Whitby ; P.O.
Bythwood Hall, seat, 34 miles SAY. of Shrewsbury,
Byttlcton, seat, 8 m. NE. of Athlone, co. Westmeath.
Byttleton Villa, Charlton next AVoolwich par., Kent,
near Charlton Junction; Wolfe (1726-1759), the hero
of Quebec, resided here.
Byulphs Tower, ancient ivy-clad building, in Gow-
barrow Park, Cumberland, on W. side of Ullswater,
34 m. N. of Patterdale ; affords a fine view of the lake.
Byzzick Hall, scat, near Keswick, Cumberland.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)