Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 353

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 352 ...Page 354

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


stitute one of the most valuable water privileges
in New England. Passing over this town in any
direction the traveller finds no rugged mountains
nor extensive barren plains, but ascending occa-
sionally some gentle elevation, his eye meets
some new and pleasing feature of the landscape
— a winding stream, a well-cultivated farm, or a
distant village. In the S. part of the town there
is a neck of land about 2 miles long, and half a
mile in breadth, lying between the Piscataqua
River on the one side, and the Bellamy River,
commonly called by the inhabitants
Back River,
on the other. The travelled road, from which
the land gradually descends on either hand to the
rivers, commands a very extensive, variegated,
and delightful prospect of bays and their adja-
cent shores, of streams, fields, and distant moun-
tains. On this neck of land the first settlement
of the town was commenced in 1623, by a
company in England, whose design was to plant
a colony and establish fisheries along the Piscat-
aqua River. For several years this spot em-
braced the principal part of the population of
the town. Here the first meeting house in Dover
was erected, and afterwards surrounded with an
intrenchment and fiankarts, the remains of which
are still visible. In process of time the business
and population began to centre around the falls,
4 miles N. of the neck, where the beautiful village
of Dover now is. Subsequently, when this fine
water power began to be improved for manufac-
turing purposes, a vigorous impulse was given to
the prosperity of the place.

The Cocheco Manufacturing Company have
now in operation here 4 large cotton mills, which
manufacture about 7,000,000 yards of print cloths
per annum; also, 1 large printery, capable of
turning out 7000 pieces of prints per week.
They have also an extensive machine shop.
This company employs about 1500 persons, 1000
of whom are females. The Bellamy mills, on
Bellamy River, about a mile and a half from the
village, consist of saw mills, and mills for the
manufacture of machinery, railroad cars, car-
riages, and axles; and near them are two or
three flannel manufactories. On this river, also,
is a paper manufactory. A company at Dover
have in successful operation machinery for the
knitting of drawers and shirts. Besides the
above, a variety of smaller articles of manufac-
ture are produced.

These two rivers, the Cocheco or Quocheco,
and the Bellamy or Black River, are the prin-
cipal streams in Dover. They take a S. E.
course through the town, and unite with other
streams to form the Piscataqua, which separates
Dover on the E. from Elliot, Me.

Dover is well built, the houses being generally
neat, and some of them elegant. The houses of
worship, the court house, and other public build-
ings are handsome, and the factories massive and
imposing in their structure.

A Congregational church was organized here
1638; and their minister, a Mr. Leverich, wras
probably the first ordained pastor who preached
the gospel in New Hampshire. Rev. Dr. Bel-
knap, the historian of New Hampshire, was
ordained as pastor of this church in

A society of Friends was established here at
an early period, and at one time comprised about
one third of the population.

This town, at its first settlement, was greatly
exposed to invasions from the Indians, between

whom and the inhabitants some unfortunate
jealousies and suspicions were excited. The
people experienced many sufferings from their
repeated attacks.

Dover is easily approached by the Boston and
Maine Railroad, which is the upper or inland
route.between Boston and Portland, Me. It is
also connected by the Cocheco Railroad with
Alton Bay on Lake Winnipiseogee, which opens
a direct, expeditious, and delightful route from
Boston to the White Mountains. Another rail-
road extends N. from Dover, passing bv Great
Falls, and reaching to Milton, 15 miles, intended
to furnish a still more direct route to the moun-

Dover. N. J., Monmouth co. Watered by Tom's
and Forked Rivers and branches of Cedar and
Rancocus Creeks, affording water power. Sur-
face mostly level, and soil sandy. 24 miles S. from

Dover, N. J., Randolph, Morris co. On both
sides of Rockaway River. 63 miles N. from
Trenton. It is on the line of the Morris Canal.

Dover, N. Y., Dutchess co. On both sides of
Ten Mile Creek. The surface is somewhat
mountainous; the soil gravelly loam of good
quality. Iron ore is found in this town, and
there are extensive quarries of white and colored
marble. 9-3 miles S. S. W. from Albany, and 20
E. from Poughkeepsie.

Dover, O., Dover township, Tuscarawas co
This is a flourishing town, and is situated on a
level plain 35 feet above the water on the Ohio
Canal, on which it lies. The streets cross each
other at right angles. A covered bridge, 346 feet
long, and built in 1833, crosses the canal and
river. It is 110 miles N. E. from Columbus, and
93 S. from Cleveland by the canal.

Dover, Pa., York co. The surface of this town
is hilly; soil red shale.

Dover, Te., c. h. Stewart co. On the S. side of
the Cumberland River. 75. miles W. N. W. from

Dover, Yt., Windham co. This town was a
part of Wardsboro' until 1810. The land is
high and uneven, more fit for pasturage than til-
lage. It is the source of several branches of
West and a branch of Deerfield River. Serpen-
tine and chlorite slate are found here. Although
this township is quite mountainous, yet the soil
is warm, sweet, and productive. 12 miles N.
from Brattleboro', and 120 S. by W. from Mont-

Downe, N. J., Cumberland co. Bounded E.
by Maurice River, and S. by Delaware Bay. It
is also watered by Dividing and other small
creeks. The land bordering on the bay and
Maurice River is flat and marshy. 14 miles S.
E. from Bridgeton.

Doivningtown, Pa., Chester co. On the W. bank
of the E. fork of Brandywine Creek. 67 miles
E. S. E. from Harrisburg. The battle of Bran-
dywine was fought 12 miles below this place,
September 11, 1777.

Doylestown, O., Wayne co., is situated on the
road leading from Wooster to Akron, 16 miles
from the former, and 13 from the latter place,
and 36 miles
S. from Cleveland.

Doylestown, Pa., c. h. Bucks co. 100 miles E.
from Harrisburg. The situation is elevated and

Dracut, Mass., Middlesex Co. Dracut is united
to Lowell by two handsome bridges over Merri-

A Gazetteer of the United States of America by John Hayward.

Hartford, CT: Case, Tiffany and Company. 1853. Public domain

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.