E. by Hancock and Shelby, S. by Johnson and
Morgan, and W. by Hendricks co. Drained by
the W. fork of White River, and by Fall and
Eagle Creeks. Surface level; soil of excellent
Marion, la., c. h. Grant co. On Missisinewa
River, 25 miles from its junction with the Wa-
bash, and 73 N. N. E. from Indianapolis.
Marion, Io., c. h. Ljnn co. 4 miles E. from
Marion, Io., c. h. at Knoxville. S. central.
Marion County. Ky., c. h. at Lebanon. A cen-
tral county. Watered by the Rolling Fork of
Salt River and its tributaries.
Marion, Ky., c. h. Crittenden co.
Marion, As., c. h. Crittenden co.
Marion, Ms., Bristol co, A new town, taken
Marion County, Mi., c. h. at Columbia. Bound-
ed N. by Lawrence and Covington, E. by Perry,
S. by Harrison and Hancock counties, S. W. by
Louisiana, and W. by Pike co. Drained by
Pearl and Leaf Rivers and Black Creek. Soil
fertile on the borders of the streams.
Marion, Mi., c. h. Lauderdale co. On the
head branches of Oktibbeha Creek. E. from
Jackson 110 miles.
Marion County, Mo., c. h. at Palmyra. Bound-
ed N. by Lewis co., E. by the Mississippi River,
separating it from Illinois, S. by Ralls and Mon-
roe, and W. by Shelby co. Drained by South
Fabius and North Rivers, branches of the Missis-
sippi. Surface undulating; soil very rich.
Marion, Mo., c. h. Cole co. On the S. bank of
Missouri River. 15 miles N. W. from Jefferson
Marion City, Mo., Marion co. The landing for
the town of Palmyra. It extends li miles along
the W. bank of the Mississippi.
Marion County, N. C., c. h. at Monroe. Mid-
way of the southern border.
Marion, N. C., c. h. McDowell co.
Marion, N. Y., Wayne co. Surface uneven ;
watered by a branch of Mud Creek; has a soil
well adapted for grain. 14 miles N. W. from
Lyons, and 195 N. of W. from Albany.
Marion County, 0., c. h. at Marion. Cranford
is on the N., Richland on the E., Hardin on the
W., and Delaware and Union counties on the S.
It was constituted in February, 1820, and settled
the same year; but it was not organized until
January, 1824. The principal waters are the
Scioto, Little Scioto, and Whetstone Rivers.
The land is rich and fertile, and part of it is
an open plain ; it is well improved.
Marion County, On. In the valley of the Wil-
Marion District, S. C., c. h. at Marion Court
House. Bounded N. E. by North Carolina, S. E.
by the Little Pedee River, separating it from
Horry district, S. W. by Great Pedee River and
Lynch's Creek, separating it from Georgetown
and Williamsburg districts, and N. W. by Dar-
lington and Marlboro' districts. Surface level,
and in some portions marshy.
Marion, S. C., c. h. Marion district. On the E.
side of Catfish Creek, a branch of the Great Pe-
dee River, and 146 miles E. from Columbia.
Marion County, Te., c. h. at Jasper. Bounded
N. by Warren and Bledsoe, and E. by Hamilton
co., S. by Georgia and Alabama, and W. by
Franklin and Coffee counties. Drained by Ten-
nessee and Sequatchie Rivers and branches.
Marion County, Te. New; taken from Smith
co. In the N. central part of the state.
Marion County, Va., c. h. at Fairmount. N.
W. part. Includes part of the valley of the Up-
per Monongahela, the two forks of which unite
in the S. part of the county, and thence flow N.
through it. Hilly. Crossed from E. to W. by the
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
Marion, Va., c. h. Smyth co. On the Middle
Fork of Holston River. W. by S. from Richmond
Mariposa County, Ca. About the banks of the
Marksuilte, La., c. h. Avoyelles parish.
Marlboro', Ct., Hartford co. Marlboro' was
taken from 3 towns which belonged to 3 different
counties, in 1803. The surface of the town is
hilly and stony, and the lands best adapted for
grazing. Dark Hollow, in the western part of
the town, presents some wild scenery of more
terror than beauty. 14 miles S. E. from Hart-
Marlboro', Ms., was granted to some people at
Sudbury in 1655. Its Indian name was Okom-
makamesitt. The town is remarkable for its fine
undulating surface and fertile soil. The Assa-
bet River waters the western part of the town,
and affords Feltonville, a flourishing manufactur-
ing village, a fine water power. The town is
otherwise watered by several small streams, arid
a number of beautiful ponds. The villages are
handsome, and largely engaged in the shoe trade,
and other manufactures. 27 miles W. from Bos-
ton, and 14 S. W. from Concord.
Marlboro', N. H., Cheshire co. There are sev-
.eral ponds in this town, which are the sources
of some of the branches of Ashuelot River.
The soil is rocky, but good for grazing. 6 miles
S. E. from Keene, and 58 S. W. from Concord.
The Cheshire Railroad passes through the town.
Marlboro', N. Y., Ulster co. Bounded on the
E. by the Hudson River, and is watered by the
Old Man's Kill, one of its branches. Surface
hilly ; soil clay loam, based upon slate. 20 miles
S. from Kingston, and 88 S. S. W. from Albany.
Marlboro', Pa., Montgomery co. Watered by
Perkiomen and Swamp Creeks. Surface undu-
lating, containing iron ore ; soil red shale.
Marlboro' District, S. C., c. h. at Bennettsville.
Bounded N. and N. E. by North Carolina, S. E.
by Marion district, S. W. and N. W. by the Yad-
kin River, separating it from Darlington and
Marlboro', Vt., Windham co. The town is
well watered by the W. branch of West River,
Whetstone Brook, and Green River. It has a
good soil, and is very productive in grain. Here
are a pleasant village, several fine trout ponds,
various kinds of minerals, and medicinal springs.
The settlement was commenced in the spring of
1763, by Abel Stockwell, from West Springfield,
Ms., and Thomas Whitmore, from Middleton,
Ct. 8 miles S. from Newfane, and 24 E. from
Marlow, N. II., Cheshire co. Ashuelot River
passes through almost the whole length of this
town. There are no ponds of note, nor any
mountains. The soil is wet, but productive.
There are excellent tracts of meadow land on
Ashuelot River, and other streams. The land is
uneven, and produces the various kinds of grain.
First settlers, Joseph Tubbs, Samuel and John
Gustin, N. Royce, N. Miller, Nathan Huntley,