clay and calcareous loam. 15 miles N. E. from
Bath, and 208 W. from Albany.
Purdy, Te., c. h. McNairy co. On a head
branch of Hatchy Biver. 148 miles S. W. from
Putnam County, Ea. On the Upper St. John.
Putnam County, Ga., c. h. at Edenton. Bound-
ed N. by Morgan co., E. by the Oconee River,
separating it from Greene and Hancock counties,
S. by Baldwin and Jones, and W. by Jasper co.
Surface level, and drained by branches of the
Oconee; soil fertile.
Putnam County, Is., c. h. at Hennepin. Bound-
ed N. by Bureau and La Salle counties, E. by La
Salle, S. by Marshall, and W. by Bureau. The
• Illinois River and its branches water this county.
Surface undulating ; soil rich.
Putnam County, la., c. h. at Greencastle.
Bounded N. by Montgomery, E. by Hendricks
and Morgan, S. by Owen, and W. by Clay and
Parke counties. Drained by the Walnut Fork of
Eel River, and by Big Raccoon and Deer
Creeks, which afford good mill sites.
Putnam County, Mo. On the northern border,
Drained by the head waters of the Chariton.
Putnam County, N. Y., c. h. at Carmel. Formed
from Dutchess co. in 1812. It is bounded N. by
Dutchess co., E. by the state of Connecticut, S.
by Westchester co., and W. by the Hudson
River, and is, with the exception of Essex, the
most mountainous county in the state. Soil fer-
tile in the valleys. Its principal wealth is its
mineral productions, which consist of superior
iron ore, carbonate of lime, serpentine, and
Putnam, N. Y., Washington co. Situated be-
tween Lakes George and Champlain, and mostly
covered by the Palmertown range of mountains.
36 miles N. from Sandy Hill, and 90 N. N. W.
Putnam County, 0., c. h. at Kalida. Henry co.
is on the N., Hancock on the E., Allen on the S.,
and Van Wert and Paulding counties on the W.
Auglaise River and its two eastern branches fur-
nish this county with a good supply of water.
Putnam County, Va. W. part of the state.
The Great Kenhawa flows through it from S. E.
to N. W. Broken, but fertile.
Putnam Valley, N. Y., Putnam co. This town
contains several small lakes, and is watered by
the'Peekskill, the outlet of Redfire Lake. The
surface is covered by the Highlands on the E. and
W., with a broad, fertile valley between, giving
name to the town. Iron ore and other minerals
are found here in large quantities. 9 miles W.
from Carmel, and 100 S. from Albany.
Putney, Vt., Windham co. This town is finely
located on the W. side of Connecticut River, and
embosoms a large tract of excellent intervale land,
called the Great Meadows. There is also a good
tract of intervale on Sackett's Brook, a fine mill
stream, with beautiful falls. Sackett's Brook is a
considerable stream, which falls 150 feet in the
course of 100 rods. There are various mineral
substances in the town. The village is pleasant,
and bears the marks of taste and prosperity. On
the 19th of August, 1788, a violent tempest pros-
trated a great part of the forest trees here. In
1770, the town was overrun by immense swarms
of worms, which ate up every green thing ; also,
to a limited extent, in 1823 and 1824. A settle-
ment was commenced and a fort built on the
Great Meadows a little previous to the breaking
oht of the French war, in 1744. 9 miles E. from
Newfane, and 9 N. from Brattleboro'. A rail-
road passes through tlje town.
Quemahoning, Pa., Somerset co. Bounded E.
by Stony Creek, and drained by McConanghey
Run, and Quemahoning, Higgins's, and Will's
Creeks. Surface hilly; soil gravelly. 11 miles
N. E. from Somerset.
Queen Anne County, Md., c. h. at Centreville.
Bounded N. W. and N. by Chester River, separat-
ing it from Kent co., E. by Delaware and Caro-
line co., S. by Talbot co., and W. by Chesapeake
Bay. Watered on its S. E. boundary by Tuck-
ahoe Creek. Kent Island, lying in Chesapeake
Bay, belongs to this county.
Queens County, N. Y., c.h. at North Hempstead,
was incorporated in 1683. It is bounded N. by
Long Island Sound and East River, E. by Suf-
folk co., S. by the Atlantic Ocean, and W. by
Kings co., and is watered by several small
streams. Surface hilly on the N. and level on the
S.; soil warm, productive sand and loam. The
Long Island Railroad crosses this county.
Queensbury, N. Y., Warren co. Bounded on the
S. by the Hudson River, and watered N. E. by
Wood Creek. Surface hilly and undulating,
being covered by the Palmertown Mountains on
the W.; soil productive. 7 miles S. E. from
Caldwell, and 53 N. N. E. from Albany.
Quincy, Fa„ c. h. Gadsden co. 23 miles N. W.
Quincy, Is., shire town of Adams co. On the
E. bank of the Mississippi River. 55 miles W.
from Springfield, 172 N. W. from St. Louis, and
625 S. from the Falls of St. Anthony. This flour-
ishing town has been in existence less than 30
years, and promises to become one of the principal
towns of Illinois. It is situated on a beautiful
bluff, 125 feet above the Mississippi, commanding
a fine view of the river for 5 or 6 miles in each
direction. It has one of the best steamboat land-
ings on the Mississippi. Quincy was settled chiefly
by emigrants from New England, and contains a
highlv-intelligent and enterprising community,
distinguished for good morals, and for its liberal-
ity in sustaining the institutions of education and
religion. The town is handsomely laid out, and
well built, containing several churches, which
have neat and tasteful edifices, a large num-
ber of stores and mechanics' shops, with steam
saw mills, flouring mills, and other manufactur-
ing establishments. There is a large and beauti-
ful public square, on the E. side of which stands
the court house, built of brick, at a cost of about
$20,000. The prairie in the vicinity of the town
is beautifully rolling and rich, and the whole
country forms one of the best agricultural dis-
tricts in the state. This is a place already of ex-
tensive trade, and, as the resources of Illinois
become more and more developed, is destined
rapidly to grow in wealth and population.
Quincy, Ms., Norfolk co. On Braintree or
Quincy Bay, which makes up from Boston Har-
bor. 8 miles S. by E. from Boston, by the Old
Colony Railroad, and 10 E. by S. from Dedham.
This territory, in common with that of Brain-
tree and Randolph, belonged to Boston until
the incorporation of Braintree as a town, in 1640.
It was the first part of Braintree that was settled,
and had been generally called Mount Wallaston,
for Captain Wallaston, one of the first settlers,