TOMPKINS COUNTY. 655
touching at all the landings on the lake. The railroad and canal and lake constitute one of the
principal routes for supplying the West with the anthracite coal of E. Penn.
Eour weekly newspapers are now published in the co.1
The three s. towns of this co. were included in the Watkins and Flint’s Purchase, and the re¬
mainder in the Military Tract. A public road was built from Oxford, on Chenango River, directly
through to Ithaca, hy Joseph Chaplin, in 1791-92-93, and this became the great highway for immi¬
gration in the s. part of the State for many years. As a consequence, the co. immediately bor¬
dering upon the road was rapidly settled. The first immigrants were mostly from New Rngland.
At the place where Ithaca now stands were found cleared fields which had previously been culti¬
vated by the Indians ; and these lands were among the first occupied in the co. The next settle¬
ments were made in Ulysses, on the w. bank of the lake, and along Chaplin’s road in Dryden. The
opening of the rich lands of the Genesee country to settlers diverted immigration from this region,
and the co. for many years did not increase in population with the same rapidity as the regions
further w. The growth of the co., however, has been gradual and continuous; and now in, every
element of real prosperity it is fully on an average with the other cos. in the State.
CAROLINE!—was formed from Spencer, (Tioga co.,) Feb. 22,1811, and was transferred to this
co. March 22, 1822. A part was annexed to Danby in 1839. It is the s.e. corner town of the co.
Its surface is an upland, broken hy a series of ridges extending n.w. and s.e. 500 to 700 ft. ahove
the valleys and 1,500 to 1,700 ft. above tide. The summits of the hills are usually rounded and
rolling and their declivities steep. The streams are Owego Creek, forming the e. boundary, and
Six Mile Creek and their branches. These streams flow in deep, narrow valleys bordered by steep
hillsides. The soil is generally a gravelly loam, and is well adapted to. grazing. Caroline
Center (p. v.) contains 2 churches and 14 houses; Motts Corners, (p. v.,) on Six Mile Creek,
in the n. w. corner of the town, 1 church, several manufacturing establishments,2 and 40 houses-,
Speedsville, (p. v.,) upon Boyer Creek, in the s. e. corner, contains 3 churches and 30 houses;
and Slaterville, (p.v.,) near the n. border, 1 church and 30 houses. Caroline Depot
(p. o.) is a station on the C. & S. R. R. Caroline (p. o.) is a hamlet in the n. e. comer of the
town. Rawson Hollow, on the e. line, is a p. o. The first settlement was begun by Capt.
The Ithaca Herald. In 1837 Nathan Randall became proprietor,
and merged the paper in the Ithaca Journal and Ad¬
The Christian Doctrinal Advocate and Spiritual Monitor was
started at Motts Corners in 1837, under the auspices of
the 7th Day Baptist denomination, and was continued!
The Tompkins Volunteer was started at Ithaca by H. C. Good¬
win in 1840. He soon after sold to J. Hunt, jr. Ia
1S43 the title was changed to
The Anti-Masonic Sentinel, started at Trumansburgh Feb. 1829.
R. St. John, editor, continued only a few weeks.
The Trumansburgh Sun, started Dec. 1840, John Gray, editor;
was published about 3 years.
The Trumansburgh Herald, started March, 1846, S. M. Day.
editor, was published about 1 year.
Trumansburgh Weekly Bulependent, started 1851, was published
hut a short time. ,
The Trumansburgh Gazette was published a short time in 1843
by J. H. Hawes. 655
The Flag of the Union was started at Ithaca in 1848 by J. B.
Gosman. In 1850 it was merged in the Ithaca Journal
The Templar and Watchman was started at Ithaca in 1853 by
Orlando Lund. It afterward passed into the hands of
Myron S. Barnes, and was continued a short time.
Rumsey's Companion was started at Dryden in 1856 by H. D.
Rumsey. It was soon after changed to
The Fireside Companion, and again in a few months to
The Dryden News. In 1857 it was sold to G. Z. House and
The New York Confederacy, and was soon after discontinued.
In 1858 it was resuscitated, as
The Dryden News, hy Asahel Clapp, hy whom it is still
The Tompkins County Democrat was started at
Ithaca iuSept.1856, hy Timothy Malony, by whom it is
2 Two flouring mills, two sawmills, a tannery, and woolen fac¬
tory. One mile below the village is the extensive gun barrel
manufactory of J. & B. Losey, and, with one exception, the only
one in the State. This establishment was started 50 years ago,
by Abiel Losey, father of the present proprietors, at Otsego;
thence it was removed to Fall Creek, near Ithaca; thence to
Owego; and thence to its present location.
The Seneca Republican, the first paper published in the co.,
was started at Ithaca, July 4,1815, hy Jonathan Inger¬
soll. In 1816 it was changed to
The Ithaca Journal, and in 1817 Mack & Shepherd became pro¬
prietors. It was successively issued by Mack & Searing,
Ebenezer Mack, and Mack & Morgan, until 1824,
when Wm. Andrus became partner, and the paper was
issued by Mack & Andrus. In 1827 the name was
Ithaca Journal, Literary Gazette, and General Advertiser, and
about a year afterward a portion of the title was
dropped, and it was issued as
Tlie Ithaca Journal and Advertiser. In Dec.
1833, Mack & Andrus sold to .Nathan Randall; in 1837
Randall sold to Mattison & Barnaby; and in 1839 A.
E. Barnaby became sole proprietor. In 1841 Barnaby
sold to Alfred Wells, and soon after Wells sold to J. H.
Selkreg, the present publisher.
The Republican Chronicle was started at Ithaca in June, 1820,
by Spencer & Stockton. In 1823 David D. Spencer
- became sole proprietor. In 1826 S. S. Chatterton
bought an interest, and in 1828 he became sole pro¬
prietor, and soon after changed the name to
The Ithiaca Republican. In 1831 or ’32 he again changed the
The Tompkins American, and in 1834 the paper was discon¬
The Western Messenger was started at Ithaca in 1826 by A. P.
Searing, and was continued about 2 years.
The Philanthropist, a Universalist paper, was started at Ithaca
in 1831 by O. A. Brownson, and was continued about
The Ithaca Chronicle was started by D. D. & A. Spencer in Feb.-
.1828, and was continued by them until 1853, when
Anson Spencer became sole proprietor. In 1855 it was
Tlie American Citizen, published by A. E. Barnaby &
Co. It is now published by Anson Spencer, who has
been one of the proprietors from the commencement
of the paper in 1828.
The Lake Light was started at Trumansburgh in 1827 by Wm.
•W. Phelps, and was continued about 2 years.
The Trumansburgh Advertiser was published a short time in
1833 by D, Fairchild.
The Jeffersonian and Tompkins Times was started in 1836 by
C. Robbins. He soon after sold to G. G. Freer, who
changed the name to