of Spofforth, wapentake of Claro, 3
miles S. from Knaresborough.
Braithwaite, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Kirk
Bramwith, wapentake of Osgoldcross,
6 miles N. E. from Doncaster.
Braithwaite, W. R. (4) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Keighley,
wapentake of Staincliffe, 1 mileW. from
Braithwaite, W. R. (4) a hamlet
in the township of Dacre with Bewer-
ley, parish of Ripon, wapentake of Claro,
4 miles S. E. from Pateley Bridge.
Braithwaite Hall, W.R. (5) a
hamlet in the township of Azerley, pa-
rish of Kirkby Malzeard, wapentake of
Claro, 4 miles N. W. from Ripon.
Braithwaite Hall, N.R. (1) a
hamlet in the township and parish of
East Witton, wapentake of Hang West,
2 miles S. from Middleham.
Braithwell, W.R. (8) a parish
and township, in the wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 6 miles E.
from Rotherham; inhabitants, 438; a
vicarage, value 7l. 7s. 6d.; patron,
the King. This parish contains the
township of Bramley. Entire popu-
Bramham, W.R. (5) a parish and
township with Oglethorpe, wapentake
of Barkston Ash, 4 miles S. from We-
therby ; inhabitants, 970; a vicarage,
value 6l. 7s. 6d.; patron, the Dean and
Chapter of Christ Church College, Ox-
ford. On Bramham Moor, a mile north
of the village, large remains of the great
Roman road are yet to be seen; but
whether this constituted a part of the
Watling-street, or the Ermine-street,
or the Fosse, is a matter of antiquarian
dispute.1 Here a battle was fought in
1408, between Sir Thomas Rokeby,
the Sheriff of Yorkshire, and the Earl
of Northumberland, which ended in the
defeat and death of that nobleman, and
secured the possession of the crown to
Henry IV. From this moor is an ex-
tensive prospect over a rich and fertile
country. Bramham Park, the seat of
George Lane Fox, Esq., is a stately fa-
bric, erected in the early part of the last
century, by Robert Benson, first Lord
Bingley, from whom the present owner
is descended. This estate was* a grant
from the crown, in the reign of William
and Mary, and was the first enclosure
on Bramham Moor. Here also are
Bramham Biggin, the seat of Sir Philip
Musgrave, Bart.; Bramham Lodge, the
seat of the Hon. E. Stourton; and Bow
Cliff, the seat of John Smyth, Esq.
The parish contains the townships of
Oglethorpe and Clifford. Entire po-
Bramhope, W. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Otley, wapentake of
Sykrack, 3 miles S. E. from Otley; in-
habitants, 366 ; a chapelry to Otley.
Bramhope Hall is the seat of Wm.
Bramley, W. R. (5j a township in
the parish of Leeds, wapentake of Mor-
ley, 4 miles W. from Leeds ; inhabi-
tants, 4916; a chapelry to Leeds. This
is a populous clothing village, and has
been long noted for its various and ex-
cellent stone quarries. Here was born
Joseph Hill, a non-conformist divine,
who published an enlarged edition of
Schrevelius Greek Lexicon, which is
still a standard book ; he died in an
advanced age, pastor of a congregation
at Rotterdam, 1707.
Bramley, W. R. (8) a township in
the parish of Braithwell, wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 4 miles E. from
Rotherham; inhabitants, 301; a cha-
pelry to Braithwell. Bramley Hall is
the seat of John Fullarton, Esq.
Bramley, W.R. (8) a hamlet in the
township and parish of Handsworth,
wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, 4
miles E. from Sheffield. Bramley Hall
is the segt of Thomas Weldon, Esq.
Brampton, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Cantley,